Sunday, June 26, 2011

We sold the Morningstar

What a difference a day can make.  Wednesday morning Rich and I were busy packing up most of our belonging in preparation of getting ready to go to NY for awhile.  We also made arrangements with Paul the dock master and others at the marina to watch over the Morningstar while it was docked in her new slip on Dock A.  Our intention was to list the boat with Mark Ziegler and also give Paul the opportunity to sell our boat. Paul has a connection with an over sea market and asked Rich to email him pictures of the boat. Rich spent the last few days washing and waxing the Morningstar and our Sea Ray looked beautiful. If it wasn’t for the fact that the Morningstar was just too small for us to live aboard with Lucky, we would never sell it.  We both love our boat and Rich put his heart and soul into making it look and drive like a new boat.
Sea Ray at Dock A

It is hard to believe we lived aboard the Morningstar for 18 months.  What started out to be a six month trial turned into a much longer stay.  Our home is at the Ortega Yacht Club Marina, it is the place we love.  We have great friends there and feel blessed to live there. For the first six months at the OYCM, Rich and I lived aboard without Lucky. My son and daughter-in-law offered to keep Lucky for us because we were planning to drive the boat back from Jacksonville Fl to Central NY in June. Since we were going to be driving through areas we have never been before there was no way we could do that with Lucky. Also at that time we did not know we could have a dog at the OYCM. However circumstances changed our original plans, and when it looked like we were not going to make the trip back to NY in June I wanted to get Lucky back. We missed him very much and Lucky was miserable without us.

Okay back to the present, Rich and I spent Tuesday night packing up the boat and moving our folding chairs, ice chest, freezer, and high/low table off the back of the boat.  Joey said we could store them in his storage trailer in case the boat should sell while we were away. Since Rich and I are looking for a larger boat we did not want to sell those items with the boat.
When Rich and I started seriously talking about listing the Sea Ray I placed an ad on Craig’s list. I wanted to see if we could get any bites and to try to sell it ourselves.  This way we would give a break to the buyer instead of giving 10% to a broker.  Besides Mark did not seem all that excited to list our boat.  Mark is use to selling much larger boats and he was trying to get us to drop our price drastically.
Wednesday morning Rich and I were having coffee when I noticed I had a message on my cell phone.  I listened to my message and it was someone very interested in seeing the Morning star.  I called the
number back and spoke to Cliff.  Cliff wanted to see the boat, I told him we were leaving for NY in the afternoon and if he wanted to see our boat he had to come right over.  I also told him we were going to list it with a broker before we left.  Cliff arrived at our boat in about an hour. He loved the boat. He asked a million questions and opened up every compartment.  Cliff was the first person to look at the boat.  He said he wanted to buy it and wanted to go out for a sea trial. It was hot and humid when we left the dock in 98 degree heat. The marina was blanketed with the heavy layer of dark smoke. There was no wind so the smoke over the marina was strong enough to burn your eyes.
Rich driving the boat and Cliff asking questions.
Cliff enjoyed the ride and told us again he wanted to buy the boat. When we got back to the marina Cliff went to the bank to get a certified bank check.  He was back within the hour. We signed the boat over to him at two pm and then the craziness of trying to unload the boat began.  Rich and I were stuffing our belongs into bags while Cliff watched over our shoulders asking us is he could have almost everything we picked up.
One Happy new owner
Rich went to the back of the boat and started emptying out all our storage areas Cliff followed him out and asked Rich for everything he picked up. Rich said no to our fishing gear but Rich ended up giving him all the fenders, lines, grill, poles, dock lines, cleaning supplies and brushes. When Rich went to the Durango with a load of stuff Cliff came downstairs and started asking me for the vacuum, bedding, and any dishes or pots and pans I wanted to leave. He was making me crazy and as result I did give him a lot of stuff from the cabin.  In fact when I was leaving the marina with my fan he followed after me saying,” Aren’t you going to leave the fan?” I said, “No you have a very good air conditioner and I don’t have any air conditioning in NY.” He said, “oh alright.” in a disappointed tone.
Rich and I were feeling so rushed that we didn’t have much time to say goodbye to our friends at the marina. We are going to miss them very much.. Everyone was in shock that our boat sold so quickly and was concerned about our retuning to the marina. Rich and I both assured them that we will be back.  We are going to our grandson’s graduation and to try to sell our house.  We will begin our search for a larger boat and that will be excited.  I know the Lord has perfect timing and I believe our house will be selling just as quickly. Lord, please watch over our friends at the OYCM and keep them safe and protected.  I love them all very much and I am looking forward to returning with our new boat. Selling the Sea Ray brings us one step closer to our dream. We may have sold the Sea Ray but the Morningstar
is still in our hearts and souls. The Morningstar is the name we have chosen for all of our boats. We chose the name to give honor to the Lord for His goodness to us.  (Revelations 22:16)  “I Jesus have sent my angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and Off spring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”  (New King James Version)
We named our first boat a 1990 27’ Sea Ray Express Cruiser the Morning Star.  We had the boat lettered while on a trip down the Erie Canal. The letters arched across the back like a wave. We liked the look so much we did the same thing on our 1979 36’ Trojan Sport Fish also named the Morningstar.  We sold our Trojan and bought the 1989 Sea Ray Express cruiser. We never got a change to put the name on it.  Our friend Steve and artist and dear friend from the OYCM was going to do the lettering on the Sea Ray but Rich said we should wait until we find the right boat.
So now a new chapter has closed and our beautiful Sea Ray has a new owner.  The spirit of the Morningstar lives in our hearts. Very soon we will find the boat the Lord had chosen for us and it will be our new Morningstar. Now as our boat search begins under the direction of the Holy Spirit my blog will be mostly about that adventure. Oh, I do not have internet at our house in  NY.  I have to drive 15 miles to Hamilton to McDonalds to have free wifi.  I may not write my blogs everyday but I will post at least twice a week.
Be Blessed






No comments:

Post a Comment